The Policy Counsel will be part of CDT’s Privacy & Data Project, reporting to the project’s director. The Privacy & Data Project team works to enhance individual privacy in the digital world by engaging with regulators and government agencies, empowering users, shaping corporate practices, and providing exemplary thought leadership in a variety of settings.
This position reports to the Director of Privacy & Data. Responsibilities may include:
- Drafting legal and advocacy documents such as policy papers, blog posts, press releases, testimony, agency comments, and legal briefs and memoranda;
- Advocating before executive branch and legislative policymakers;
- Collaborating with industry and foundations to advance best practices in privacy, with an emphasis on the collection, sharing and use of unregulated health data for the first year;
- Representing CDT in the media and at public events; and
- Developing and maintaining productive relationships with other advocates, academics, technologists, companies and communities.
- A law degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience in law and public policy;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills;
- Experience working with a variety of diverse stakeholders and an understanding of how to productively bring those disparate positions together;
- Flexibility and the ability to respond to the issues of the day; and
- Commitment to CDT’s mission to put democracy and individual rights at the center of the digital revolution.
Additional qualifications may include:
- Familiarity with relevant policy institutions, including experience working in or with federal agencies or Congress;
- Demonstrated experience with public speaking and communicating with the media;
- Existing relationships with key stakeholders, including policymakers, the press, advocates, and tech companies, and experience collaborating with diverse stakeholders and organizations;
- Knowledge of emerging trends in technology and implications for users and society, including the influence of technology on human rights and civil liberties;
- An understanding of how law, policy and technology may have a disparate impact on underserved or disadvantaged individuals and communities.
Salary is commensurate with experience and is competitive with public interest and government pay scales. CDT provides a generous benefits package that includes health care and dental coverage, a retirement plan, paid vacation, sick days, and parental leave.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.